Saturday, February 7, 2009

The Question

I actually started this post January 31, 2009...I just couldn't finish it at the time.
Last night I went to dinner after helping a friend pack up her house in preparation to move. We had dinner at Goodwood. While we were waiting for our table, a friend from high school recognized me and came over to sit by me. We started our conversation with the usual questions about what we've been up to, if we see anyone from high school still - you know, the usual. I was wearing my Hooper sweatshirt and she asked me if that is where I lived and I told her no, that was where I taught school. She then told me she was a stay at home mom to three children. I knew at that moment THE QUESTION was coming. The question I dreaded......Are you married? Then the story began. I could no longer pretend or hide the fact that I lost my husband to cancer. It seemed easier to just keep it to myself. It hurts more when I have to actually say the words. She was so sweet and told me how sorry she was that I had gone through that. At that moment our names were called and we went our separate ways to our table for dinner. When I sat down I realized that I would be turning 31 soon and I felt like I didn't have anything to show for those years.

Now that time has passed, I can look at the situation with a little more perspective. I do have a lot to show for my life - it just isn't the 'stuff' that people can see!

1 comment:

Tiana said...

Kam...seriously, you are amazing and you have done a thousand things that are so important in life. You inspire me every day.